Little Green Sprout is an advertising mascot for the Green Giant Company. This little green child of nature lives in a valley with a Jolly Green Giant who watches over the vegetables originally grown for the Minnesota Valley Canning Company.
Up in the Valley of the Jolly Green Giant
Lives a guy they call the Little Green Sprout.
He’s not very big about the size of a twig,
But that’s how Jolly Green Giants start out.
The Green Giant Company introduced Little Green Sprout character as a companion for the Jolly Green Giant in a move to appeal to children.
The trademark character, the Jolly Green Giant was inspired by Grimm’s fairy tales and designed to commemorate the introduction of a new kind of pea by the Minnesota Valley Canning Company of Le Sueur in 1925.
Originally, a grumpy, grey gnome in a scruffy bearskin, the company turned their mascot green in the 1930s with the help of the Chicago-based Leo Burnett Ad agency who dressed the giant in a leafy-green toga, and gave him his classic catchphrase, “”Ho, Ho, Ho, Green Giant!” The Jolly Green Giant first appeared on television in 1961; his companion, Little Green Sprout debuted in 1973.
On a hillside in the town of Le Sueur, Minnesota, a billboard with the caption “Welcome to the Valley” features the images of the Jolly Green Giant and Little Green Sprout. Over the years, however, the canning facilities for the Green Giant Company have moved to Montgomery, Minnesota.
The Green Giant company was purchased by Pillsbury in 1979 and later by General Mills. The Minnesota Valley Canning Company changed its name to the Green Giant Company (GGC) in 1950.
In 1979, the citizens of Blue Earth, Minnesota paid homage to the Jolly Green Giant and dedicated a 55-foot statue to honor his birthplace. In 2009, the town of Blue Earth opened the Green Giant Museum that features Jolly Green Giant and Little Sprout memorabilia.
Green Giant Statue
1130 Giant Drive
Blue Earth, MN