The Grumby Troll Brew Pub is family-oriented brewery, restaurant and pizzeria located at 105 S. 2nd Street in Mount Horeb, Wisconsin (aka, “The Troll Capital of the World”).
The Grumpy Troll is housed in an historic building on the corner of South Second Street and Front Street in downtown Mount Horeb. Originally built in 1916 by the Mount Horeb Creamery and Cheese Company on the former site of the Herman Dahie Ice House, the building was transformed into a restaurant and brewery in 1998. Originally called the Mount Horeb Pub and Brewery, it became The Grumpy Troll Brew Pub in 2000.
In 2006, Mount Horeb native Doug Welshinger, a former Army helicopter pilot and airline pilot for Northwestern Airlines, bought the Grumpy Troll and reopened it on St. Patrick’s Day.
Their on-site microbrewery features up to twelve beers on tap, including:
- Captain Fred, an American lager with a golden hue and sweet, light, hoppy aroma named after Captain Frederick Pabst, a legendary Wisconsin pioneer of American brewing.
- Troll’s Gold, a robust lager (6.2 percent ABV)
- Erik The Red, a ruby-brown Ale with scents of fruit and spice.
- Curly Scotch, a smoky, sweet Ale.
- Spetsnaz, a dark, foamy stout beer with the aroma of coffee smoke and chocolate named after Russia’s Special Forces.
- Maggie, a hoppy, bitter, strong brownish pale ale (9% ABV) with a sweet smell and fruity taste named after British Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher.
- Flanders Ned Ale, a Belgian-style beer with a nod to the Simpsons. Also on tap is a Belgian ale called Monk’s Sweat.
The pub’s brewmaster, Mark “The Captain” Duchow came to The Mount Horeb Pub and Brewery in 1998 and stayed until 2001. Starting as a keg washer, he worked his way to Assistant Brewmaster and then Head Brewmaster of the highly-respected Water Street Brewery in Milwaukee.
A native of Oconomowoc, Wisconsin, Duchow is a graduate of America’s oldest brewing school, the Siebel Institute of Technology. In 2006, Mark returned to the Grumby Troll. He is now Brewmaster at Sweet Mullets Brewery and Pub in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin.
The smoke-free restaurant on the first level of the Grumpy Troll serves soups, salads, steaks, pork chops and seafood and and excellent sandwiches like their Reuben and Grumpy Troll burgers made with 100% Angus beef. And don’t forget their Grumpy Chips – thick-cut potato chips warmed and served with a sprinkling of their own Parmesan cheese.
Upstairs, the pizzeria at the Grumpy Troll offers specialty and classic style pizza, in addition to a second full service bar with big screen TVs, a pool table, English style steel tipped darts, and video games.
Annually, the brewery hosts the Thirsty Troll Brewfest in September at Grundahl Park at Grundahl Park at 401 Blue Mounds Street in Mount Horeb.
NOTE: Another bar named The Grumpy Troll Tavern is located at 5213 Bethel Center Mall in Columbus, Ohio 43220.
The Grumpy Troll Brew Pub
105 S. Second Street
Mount Horeb WI 53572