A Faery Hunt is a nonprofit corporation performing community outreach programs of a “fairy kind” in the Los Angeles, California area. Debbie Rothstein of Northridge, CA is the Executive Director, Producer, Writer, Actress, and coordinator of the organization’s activities and events which offer the “Faery Best” in enchantment entertainment.
“A Faery Hunt is a beacon of light that brings laughter, fun, beauty and messages of friendship, love, and environmental awareness to our children.”
The mission of A Faery Hunt is to bring back the magic of childhood through tales of Fairyland. Their answer to “Do you believe in fairies?” is a resounding, “YES!”
The organization’s exciting, original interactive-performances are designed for children, boys and girls, and the young-at-heart. To magnify a child’s fun, they are encouraged to come in costume befitting an inhabitant of Fairyland. Storytelling, singing, dancing, face painting, games and more are but some of the fun things children will experience.
In addition, private performances are available with individual faeries for parties. Birthday parties feature magical fairy princesses, mermaids, trolls, gnomes and handsome princes to entertain and charm the birthday child and guests. Or better yet, the birthday child can invite their guests to come to one of the regular A Faery Hunt performances.
- Auntie Angelica’s Fairy Garden: A musical where the audience go to Fairyland through a magical portal in Auntie Angelica’s garden.
- The Lia Fail and the King of the Faeries: The audience visit Fairyland and help find the King of the Fairies.
- A Mermaid’s Tail: Auntie Angelica takes the audience on a gentle adventure to help Mermaid Li Ban back to the ocean to find her tail with the help of the audience, the faeries and Pirate Scrappy’s map of hidden treasures.
- The Missing Faery Light: The audience learns that the Faery Queen’s enchanted necklace is missing! After a duel with a Simurg, and some songs, the audience helps the faery folk bring the faery light back the Faery Queen.
- Sheriff Pickett’s Stories of the West: a rootin’-tootin’ musical adventure as Deputies of Storytelling, meet guitar-playing Sheriff Wilson Picket, his quirky cook, Baron Landscape, along with amazing Cowgirl Jane as they roam the ranch portrayed in clearings in the beautiful Griffith Park forest.
Other original stories include “Fauni and the Magic Beads”, “King Lugh’s Magic Flower”, and “You Can’t Judge a Bugul Noz by His Cover”
The cast of enchanted characters who perform for A Faery Hunt events include:
- Auntie Angelica Root (Debbie Rothstein)
- Boon, the faery of friendship (Jackie Nico)
- Fand, a water faery (Michelle Mering-Hayes)
- Fauni, guardian of the Woodlands (Lindsey Stakoe)
- Hope (Hope Lauren)
- Gerome the Gnome (Jason Hayes)
- Gladamir the Gnome (Gabriel Gentile)
- Grundle the Gnome (Nathan Andy Cambridge)
- Isfandiar the Simurg, an enchanted prince (Christopher Halsted and Jason Hayes and Brian Allman)
- Li Ban, a water faery of the sea, mermaid and sister to Fand (Paula Tracey Wilson)
- Noll the Troll (Ronnie Sperling)
- Penelope of the Tylwyth Teg (Kate Huffman)
- Queen Ainé, and Daphne (Paula Davis Wynant)
- Rosebella, who encourages new growth in the forest (Jaz Hayes)
- Sedona, who watches over the plants and animals (Lauren Sperling)
- Shaylee, fairy princess of the fields (Ashlee LaPine)
- Sparrow, protector of all things small(Ben Hayes)
- Stardust, the faery who gathers the stardust to make the magical faery dust (Cathy Kutz)
The performance venue for A Faery Hunt is varied. They have no centralized building but instead they roam the Southland, appearing in parks and theaters, including Griffith Park in Los Angeles, the Sunset Theatre Company in Redondo Beach, Whitfire Theater in Sherman Oaks, Tarzana Community and Cultural Center, Corriganville Park in Simi Valley, Crestwood Hills Park in Brentwood, South Coast Botanic Garden in the Palos Verdes Peninsula, and Descanso Gardens in La Cañada Flintridge (where the group conducts a walkabout featuring stories of faery magic and flowers, dancing, singing and lots of other fun.
Debbie Rothstein and her organization has been honored with the Nickelodeon’s Parents’ Pick Award for “Best Children’s Theater in Los Angeles,” as well as the named “Best of Hollywood” by the Hollywood Reporter, and “Best of LA” by LA Parent and Los Angeles magazine.
In addition, A Faery Hunt has worked with Northridge Hospital Medical Center with our “Bedside Faery Program”, as well as The Special Olympics, The Children’s Nature Institute, Los Angeles Shriners Children’s Hospital, St. Jude’s Hospital, Kids Wish Network, LA Public Libraries and Ventura Libraries, Kid to Kid – an organization supporting autistic children, just to name a few.
A Faery Hunt, Inc.
c/o Debbie Rothstein
8446 Tunney Avenue
Northridge, CA 91324
A Faery Hunt (Website)