Magellan the Dragon is a clumsy, one-toothed green dragon (with a tail with a mind of its own) seen on the Nickelodeon children’s series EUREEKA’S CASTLE (1989-1995).
Magellan the Dragon lived in a huge windup castle music box that was owned by a giant. Magellan sneezes loudly when he gets upset.
Among the inhabitants of this music box castle were:
- Eureeka, a young sorceress-in-training
- Batly, a bumbling, near-sighted, egotistical bat who lives in the belfry. When he accidentally runs into things, he says, “I meant to do that!”
- Bogge and Quagmire, the constantly arguing “Moat Twins” who like to swim around in a swampy moat, play in the basement and eat peanut butter sandwiches.
- Mr. Trader Knack, the castle’s handyman and tinkerer. He owns a fruit stand and speaks with an Italian accent.
- Giant, who cranks the key on the Eureeka’s Castle wind-up music box.
Other assorted characters to appear on the program included: Webster (Noel MacNeal), Batly’s pet spider; Sir Klank (James Kroupa), an old bearded blue mouse who lives in a suit of armor; Kate (Lynn Hippen), a pink mouse who likes to talk about what is happening in the castle; Emma (Pam Arciero), a portly orange mouse that likes to eat; The Fishtones, three stone fish carvings on a fountain who like to sing; Cooey, Magellan’s pet; Slurms, Magellan’s pet slug/worms; and Blankateers, the dots on Magellan’s blanket that move about to form patterns and pictures.
NOTE: The puppet’s for the program were designed and constructed by James Kroupa, John Orberg, Kip Rathke, and Matt Stoddart from 3/Design Studio.
In 1990, EUREEKA’S CASTLE won an Ace Award for best children’s program.
Magellen the Dragon
c/o Eureeka’s Castle