Monica the Angel is a beautiful red-haired angel seen on the CBS fantasy drama TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL (1994-2003).
She was promoted from search-and-rescue to case worker (because she did a good job with the 747 incident) to assist people in need with their personal problems.
Monica spoke with a soft, lilting Irish brogue and took on the guise of various occupations as a cover for her assignments. When she felt the time was right, she revealed her angelic identity amidst a glowing shower of pure heavenly light.
Along the way, other angels helped Monica with her assignments, including:
- Tess (Della Reese), a plump, black, tough-as-nails supervisor who loves to sing gospel songs and affectionately calls everyone “Baby.” When she told Monica about her promotion, she warned, “Case work is tricky. Now just ’cause you got more power, don’t mean you got all the power.”
- Adam (Charles Rocket), an angel of Death assigned to escort the souls of people to heaven.
- Andrew (John Dye), another angel of Death.
- Gloria (Valerie Bertinelli), a rather naive, but loving angel in training who appears later in the series to assist Monica.
Occasionally, Monica hitched a ride in Tess’ 1970 red Cadillac convertible which Tess received as a gift from a grateful mother for reuniting her with her family on Monica’s first assignment.
In the final episode, Monica is promoted from case worker to supervisor and drives away in the red Cadillac which Tess gives her as a reward for her service. Tess then takes a new job in heaven which requires her to sit in God’s presence and sing his praises.
Some Thoughts from the Angels
- “We feel we have so much to lose in this world. But then you realize if God is there for you, there really isn’t that much to lose.”
- “God is not taking anything away from you. The world takes things away from us. God restores them, a thousand times better.”
- “Never forget, when you have lost your faith, when God is no longer real to you, go back. Go back to the last place you saw Him. He will be waiting for you there.”
- “Bad things are always going to happen in life. People will hurt you. But you can’t use that as an excuse to fail or to hurt someone back. You only hurt yourself.”
- “There is only one thing in this life that is truly bulletproof. It’s faith. Not faith in a gun that will not shoot or a radio that works. It’s the faith that you wrap yourself up in every day of your life. Faith that no matter what happens, you won’t lose God’s love. And all the bullets in the world can’t pierce it. And all the pills in the world can’t replace it.”
- “Sometimes things can seem random, because God allows us to have choices. And humans and angels can make bad ones.”
- “Love doesn’t hide. It stays and fights. It goes the distance. That’s why God made love so strong. So it can carry you, all the way home.”
- “You’re a good person on the wrong road and through an unusual series of events the opportunity has come for you to make amends. And I have it on good authority that this opportunity is not coming again. May I suggest you take it by closing your mouth and opening your ears”
- “Anyone can give up, it’s the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone would understand if you fell apart, that’s true strength.”
- “There are great mysteries in this world that only God understands. But this I do understand; ‘No mistake you may have ever made is bigger than God’s power to fix it’.”
- “Did you ever hear the story about the man who was afraid of lions? Well, he was so scared that he ran and he ran and he ran, and he kept looking behind him to see if a lion was catching up to him. And he looked over his shoulder so much, he didn’t see where he was going. And one day, guess what he ran smack dab into? A lion.”
NOTE: In a TV Guide interview of March 29, 1997 Della Reese (an ordained minister) remarked: “Michael Landon (from HIGHWAY TO HEAVEN) could fix everything, he and his earthly buddy. They changed a person’s life by fixing it. We can’t fix it. We give you an opportunity to fix your life. We give you a chance.”
Monica the Angel
c/o Tess, Supervising Angel
The Celestial Golden Gates (Heaven)