Random is an inept angel (Jimmy Brogan) seen on the ABC fantasy comedy OUT OF THE BLUE (1979).
In order to earn his wings, Random is assigned to a Chicago woman and her newly adopted family of unmanageable nieces and nephews after they lost their parents in a plane crash.
Random’s charges on earth included:
- Aunt Marion (Dixie Carter).
- Chris Richards, (Clark Brandon), a 16-year-old a sports-loving cynic.
- Laura Richards (Olivia Barash) a 13-year-old TV and movie addict.
- Stacey Richards (Tammy Lauren), a 10-year-old tomboy who idolizes Chris.
- Jason Richards (Jason Keller) and Shane Richards (Shane Keller), identical 8-year-old twins who love fooling people as to who is Jason and who is Shane. Of course, they don’t fool Random the Angel.
Posing as a high school teacher, Random lives in the Richard’s home as rent-paying boarder and uses his magical powers to teach the kids lessons on life. The kids, in turn, keep Random’s real identify a secret from their Aunt Marion and Gladys, the housekeeper (Hannah Dean). A bona-fide card-carrying angel, Random loves the Chicago Cubs and plays a guitar instead of a harp.
Random reports his progress to a heavenly supervisor named Boss Angel (Eileen Heckart).
NOTE: Mork of Ork (Robin Williams) is an old friend of Random the Angel. Apparently, the planet Ork is located near heaven. In a crossover from the series MORK & MINDY, Mork visits Random on the show’s first episode “Random’s Arrival.”
Random the Angel
c/o The Richards Family