Founded in 1922, the Hamberger factory (owned by David Hamberger) was the producer of mechanized elves and other characters that animated holiday window displays. The company also had a showroom on 31st Street in Manhattan.
Prior to manufacturing Christmas displays, the red-brick edifice at Warren and Hicks streets was used as a kindergarten, library, recreational dance hall, and a gymnasium.
Hamberger sold his company in the early ’90s to Center Stage Productions and moved out of Brooklyn. The factory was demolished and replaced by condos. Brownstones used to stand on either side of the building, but they were torn down in 1942 to prepare for the BQE (Brooklyn-Queens Expressway).
Although no longer manufactured, Hamberger’s animated displays are nostalgic reminders of days gone by when children stood in front of Department Store windows and watched the magical animated figures bring the holiday season alive. Today, Hamberger displays are sought after by collectors.
Hamberger Factory (Closed)
410 Hicks Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201